Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Toasted Coconut Custard Tart (TWD)


This is a very tardy Tuesdays With Dorie post, which should have been published two weeks ago. My apologies to the host for that week, Beryl of Cinemon Girl, as I had all of the best intentions of getting this written sooner.

Coconut evokes very strong reaction by people - either you love it or hate it. I like coconut in my drinks (hello pina colada) but am not crazy about having it front and center in my desserts. My hubs is the other extreme and LOVES coconut...one of his all time favorite desserts is coconut cream pie. As you can imagine, the hubs was pretty happy to hear that Beryl selected Toasted Coconut Custard Tart as her TWD pick.

I liked that the recipe called for a good hit of dark rum. My relationship with rum is a complicated one - I like rum, but rum doesn't like me. As you can guess, tiki drinks are off limits for me.

This recipe is basically made up of three components: tart shell, coconut custard, and whipped topping.

Using Dorie's fabulous Sweet Tart Dough recipe, I made individual tart shells.

The coconut custard can be made in advance, as it needs to be chilled before serving. Along with a healthy dose of rum, the custard calls for a pinch of coriander. I didn't really taste the coriander, but I definitely tasted the smoky, spicy flavor of the dark rum. Toasted coconut is also folded into the custard.

The tart is topped with a rum spiked whipped cream,
then the top is sprinkled with more toasted coconut.
The hubs couldn't wait to dig in. He couldn't speak, as he was too busy devouring the tart, but gave this recipe an enthusiastic thumbs up. I also really enjoyed the flavor of the tart, but didn't enjoy the texture of the shredded coconut in the custard. Next time, I will save all of the toasted coconut for the topping, as the crunchy coconut topping is a nice contrast to the smooth creamy custard and whipped cream topping.
For the complete recipe, please visit Beryl's blog, Cinemon Girl.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love your photos - especially the one of the tart shells stacked on top of one another. I really like coconut and had high hopes for this tart, but the rum overpowered everything for me.

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Can you say MMMMMMmm?

I never leave your blog wanting to bake....I live wanting to eat. Later for the baking. :)
~ingrid

Blog Widget by LinkWithin