Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Apple-Apple Bread Pudding (TWD)

This week's Tuesdays With Dorie recipe for Apple-Apple Bread Pudding is all about comfort food that warms your tummy. This recipe takes a traditional bread pudding and adds a double dose of apples - sauted sliced apples and apple butter.
I did take some liberties with this recipe (you can find the complete original recipe at Liz's terrific blog, Cake or Death? ):

- I halved the recipe to accommodate a 8x3 loaf pan.

- Challah was my bread of choice. The bread was cut into thick slices, liberally slathered with apple butter, and then cut into cubes.

- 1/2 tsp of cinnamon was added to the custard mixture.

- Baking time was adjusted to 1 hour

- Once out of the oven, I let the bread pudding cool to room temp. After unmolding from the pan, the bread pudding is sliced, and these slices are fried on both sides with a generous amount of butter (just like frying up french toast). Sure, this is a total fat bomb but boy o' boy is it delicious! Frying creates a beautiful crust, and its slight crunchy exterior gives in to the soft, rich interior. Although the fruit is no longer distinguishable, the apple flavor definitely shines. A little dusting of powdered sugar and a scoop of vanilla ice cream is all you need to complete this dessert.

Thank you Liz for this super delicious selection!

16 comments:

Paula said...

Fried bread pudding? That's a first and I can't wait to try it. I thought about adding cinnamon--good call.

Helen said...

I love the use of Challah in this. challah makes the best French Toast so it's natural that it makes great bread pudding!

Susi's Kochen und Backen said...

This looks so delicious! This recipe is going on my to-do list

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Oh,my Linda! My kids would GO CRAZY for a slice of that. They adore bread pudding and love mushy fruit (ha-ha!) in it.

Love the look...very cool.
~ingrid

spike. said...

omg. fried slices of bp is genius!

steph- whisk/spoon said...

i love how you baked it in a loaf to get nice slices. then when i read you fried it in butter--oh my gosh, delicious!!

Flourchild said...

Holy cow does that look great...yumm Im in love!

Tia said...

omg this is the yummiest bread pudding I've seen! I love the layers

Caroline said...

Wow that looks amazing! I wanted to add cinnamon but I made it at my boyfriend's house and he didn't have any. And frying it up, wow, that takes it to a whole new level!

The Food Librarian said...

You FRIED your bread pudding?!?!?! OMG. That sounds so crazy and yet so inviting. Can I get a side of bacon with that? I love the look of this with the cubes of yumminess. You rock. - mary

Jodie said...

Gorgeous pics!

Eliana said...

WOW - you took this dessert to a place that no one else did and I absolutely love it. Rock on girl!

Unknown said...

Wow, all kinds of good things going on over here this week! Your bread pudding is stunning in its loaf shape and I love that you fried the slices after baking. I think that might be just the solution to my soggy bread pudding issues!

margot said...

The bread pudding looks especially good in loaf form. It was amazing on its own, I bet it was delicious fried, what a fun idea!

Julie said...

Wow, that's a whole lotta apple! Looks amazing.

TeaLady said...

Great idea to fry it like that!!! I'll have to try it that way next time.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin